Launched by Sir Albert Bore, Leader, Birmingham City Council at 11am, Atrium, Millennium Point
A high-level panel discussion with Q & A session that will consider how the high-speed railway and development project, typically referred to as HS2, can contribute to the positive regeneration of Birmingham and the wider city region.
With an emphasis on delivering an integrated approach our eminent panel will focus on how to ensure this investment delivers the biggest positive impact for all those living, working and visiting our city region.
We want to make sure this is not simply about the delivery of a high speed railway line into a new station.
How will HS2 contribute to the regeneration of quarters across our city and better connectivity between them? What are the opportunities for new business start-ups and the SME sector? Do Birmingham’s supply chains have the capacity and resilience necessary for the region’s economic recovery? What role new retail experiences?
This Question Time type debate will also address the opportunities for young people, the city’s skills challenge and the role of education, apprenticeships and industry collaboration.
The Panel will be chaired by Simon Topman, Chairman, Millennium Point, CEO Acme Whistles.
- Sir Albert Bore, Leader of Birmingham City Council
- Waheed Nazir, Director Planning and Regeneration, Birmingham City Council
- Professor Kathryn Moore, Landscape Architecture, Birmingham City University
- Beth West, Commercial Director, HS2
Notable members of the audience:
- Councillor Ian Ward, Deputy Leader, Birmingham City Council
- Richard Burden MP
- Stuart Ballinger – Midlands Director, JCDecaux
- Jason Wouhra – IoD – Regional Chairman
- Dav Bansall – Director, Glenn Howells
- Stacey Barnfield – Editor, Birmingham Post
- Professor George Feiger – Dean Aston University Business School
- Julie Nugent – Deputy Chief Executive, Birmingham Metropolitan College
- Councillor Mark Winnington, Cabinet Member for Economy and Infrastructure, Staffordshire County Council
- Lucan Gray, Owner, Custard Factory
- Jeremy Rogers – Cadbury 6th Form college
- Alan Charters – Aston University
- Dame Professor Julia King – Aston University
- Adam Titchen – EEF
- Richard Halstead – EEF
- Patrick Twist – Pinsent Masons
- Philip Singleton, CEO, Millennium Point
- Sardul Dhesi, Deputy Principal – South & City College Birmingham
- Robert Eaton – Birmingham Airport
- Peter Larkham, Planning TEE
- Peter Cochrane – Project Director, Birmingham City University
- Christine Thomson – Birmingham City Council
- Dr Phil Extance – PVC, Aston University
- Martin Dyer – WSP group
- Peter Shearer – Director, Aston University
- Prof Lubo Jankovic, Low Carbon Architecture and Construction, Birmingham City University